Thursday, May 29, 2014

Wanted: Job that would fulfill all wanderlust requirements

I am feeling the pressure. The towel rack I ordered is in at Crate & Barrel. They just left me a message. 
The towel rack I fell in like with, during one of my many travels and stays at certain properties my husband had jeweled status at, is ready for pickup. 
I'd noticed the display rack out of the corner of my eye while purchasing a shower gift at C&B last month. 
Previously, attempts  to purchase one like it on line or hide it in a carry on (just kidding) had failed me. So I was happy to find one that could be obtained without jail time. 
The towel rack -- which was back ordered, but not a problem -- opened up a line of conversation with the C&B associate who helped with the ordering process. I told her I had seen it at home and abroad while traveling, but never in their catalogue. And then our discussion drifted to traveling.
She had lived abroad before children and we got off on a tangent about Paris and Amsterdam, from where I had just returned, to talking about my next stop -- Las Vegas -- where you can pretend travel. Like EPCOT. And the air-conditioning is better. 
I could see the wanderlust in her eyes. My daughter gets that look when she tells people she wants to visit all the continents before she turns 25. I usually get wistful while reading travel sections and mags and while watching PBS. 
She asked me if I travelled for business or pleasure and I explained Europe this time was to visit my tumbleweed daughter -- who is working as an au pair to improve her French, while squeezing in weekend travel adventures, before returning to the states to go to graduate school. Las Vegas was to relax, and write, while my husband was conferencing. 
Somehow our conversation jumped to travel expert Rick Steves and how he always gives a different perspective to the cities he visits. Something I try to do on each of my adventures. 
I chimed in that I could offer Steves a new perspective to travel. Travel for middle-age women worried about their ankles swelling. 
She suggested I contact him. I admitted I checked the careers on his website every once in a while. Most times they are too techy for me. 
Now that we are empty nesters there would be time for a job. 
The perfect job, besides blogging --which hasn't been as lucrative as I had hoped, would involve travel. Even with my phobias of highway driving, glass elevators and ridiculously high escalators I do manage to get places on vacation. 
Okay so we probably took a few more double decker buses in London where there weren't working elevators at the Tube stations.  I lived thru my Iguazu waterfall adventure (again a blog for another time).  
Another niche audience, besides middle-age women wary of swollen ankles, might be travelers with phobias.
I love sharing travel tips and ideas with friends and family. 
I used to think the perfect job, after leaving newspapers, would be a segment producer for Oprah's show. Of course I would joke with friends that I would need limo service to get to and from the city and a salary that would make giving up coffee group, book group, and all of my other activities negotiable. 
Oprah ended her show. Maybe she was jealous of my life. And no offers for me to replace her came forward. So I blog.  
My daughter was recently making fun of me for taking a sabbatical from my blog sabbatical. I noticed her travel blog has not been updated. 
Thank you loyal readers for being patient. I am going to cut this blog short and contact Rick Steves.
AVAILABLE: Travel segment producer for niche middle-age woman audience. 
You never know. 
Then I can go pick up the towel rack at C&B.

2 comments:

  1. I would hire you. You always have good insights for me. I hope Steve is reading your blog he would be lucky to get you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a successful travel group.
    Keep up the writing. Rick Steves will catch on.
    Aly

    ReplyDelete